Homemade croutons are easy and much better than anything you can get in a box. Our flavored olive oils make it fun to change up your croutons from meal to meal. Add a bit of crunch and a pop of flavor to your favorite soups or salads.
- About 4 cups of cubed bread (day-old is best, but if you don't have that you can spread the cubes out on a sheet tray and dry in a low oven for 10 minutes)
- 4 tbsp. your choice of flavored olive oil
- salt to taste
- fresh chopped herbs (optional)
Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat (if you don't have room for a single layer of bread cubes, do it in batches and portion out the olive oil accordingly). Add olive oil (suggestions below) and then the bread cubes. Toss around until the cubes are all coated (add more olive oil if necessary). Keep them moving in the pan until all sides are browned and crisp. Turn off heat, add salt and herbs, and serve warm or at room temperature.
Olive Oil Suggestions:
- Bacon Olive Oil Croutons to top a classic wedge salad.
- Hot Chili Olive Oil Croutons for a sweet butternut squash soup.
- Tuscan Herb Olive Oil Croutons to top an arugula, prosciutto and parmesan salad. (pictured with parsley garnish)
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Croutons to top a Caesar salad.