Our secret ingredients in this bright and delicious pesto are the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil and Metrocrops' Dwarf Kale, which is delicate enough that it doesn't have to be de-stemmed..
- 2 cups of kale
- ½ cup New Canaan Olive Oil (we suggest Sicilian Blend for this recipe)
- ¼ cup Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
- ½ Parmesan, grated and packed
- 2 tbsp Romano, grated and packed
- 1 tbsp garlic paste OR 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 ¼ tsp Fleur de Sel
- 1 tbsp half and half
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 3 tbsp celery puree* (optional, read below)
- 1 lb pasta (reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water)
Cook the pasta according to package directions. Be sure to reserve about 1/4 cup of the pasta water before draining. While pasta is cooking...In a blender add 2 cups of de-stemmed kale (Metrocrops' Kale is perfect for this recipe, without de-stemming), olive oil, pine nuts, salt, garlic, half and half, and the celery puree* and blend well. Add the cheeses and continue blending until smooth.
At the end add the pasta water 1 tbsp at a time and gently mix together until the desired consistency is reached (thick enough to coat the pasta but not paste-like). Toss with the pasta while it is still hot.
Garnish with extra cheese and pine nuts.
*Optional 3 tbsp of celery puree (celery cooked in stock and blended up until smooth). Celery puree will help cut some of the bitterness of the kale and smooth out the pesto, but it is not necessary. Note: I made this with Metrocrops Dwarf Kale and did not need to add celery puree.