One of the most frequent questions we get at our store is, "can I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for high heat cooking and frying?" The answer is yes! Here are our favorite facts about high heat cooking with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- When heated, olive oil is the most stable fat, which means it stands up well to high frying temperatures, according to the International Olive Council.
- The smoke point of olive oil varies with its quality. High quality extra virgin olive oils have a higher smoke point than lesser quality olive oils. According to The Olive Oil Source, extra virgin olive oil smokes at around 400 degrees Fahrenheit, which is well above the ideal temperature for frying foods.
- Extra virgin olive oils contain high levels of antioxidants which help resist oxidation as the oil is heated.
- Because of the high level of oleic acid in extra virgin olive oil, the nutritional value of the olive oil does not decrease at high heats, like it would with other oils.
- According to the International Olive Council, extra virgin olive oil can be reused several times without losing its nutritional value or digestibility.